Micro-services architecture & API
These synchronous or asynchronous communications are essential. This is why a microservices architecture requires APIs which formalize interaction possiblities.
Each microservice must have its own API. The correct definition of these APIs is necessary to leverage all the advantages of a microservices architecture :
- Independence when deploying functionalities of the platform,
- Better fault tolerance,
- Compatibility with containerization,
- Easier implementation of continuous delivery and continuous integration,
- Better load balancing in a cluster,
- Better team autonomy by allowing the use of Feature Teams.
In the API field, RESTful concepts provide the most logical model for building interfaces between the various components of a microservices architecture.